Saturday, October 17, 2015

Those kids really love Star Wars and Frozen.

I've been trying to keep these updates going, but my work schedule has been pretty hectic. I work at a coloring book manufacturer, and our busiest months are before Christmas. The upcoming Star Wars movie is also complicating things -- a day doesn't pass without printing either Star Wars or Disney's "Frozen," making this my busiest year on record, and requiring a lot of working weekends. For better or worse, after the Christmas rush dies down, there's almost no work, and I'm practically laid off, so that will be my peak modding days.

Regarding the mod itself, I'm focusing on the early content because I want to get something released as a tech demo, of sorts. Obviously, the mod runs fine for me, but I need a few people to test it so I can iron out any requirements or anything else unforeseen. I've received some great comments about how I can best tackle this, and I've decided I'll do a demo covering just the first half hour. I'm keeping it short because I plan on having you guys play through it again when the final version (of chapter 1?) is released, rather than worry about transferring decisions, calling it a prologue, etc. When you rush through the mod on your second play-through, I suspect it will only take a few minutes, lol. I suppose that is one advantage to a text-heavy mod is that it makes it quicker to play-test. Looking at my script, if I were to create a prologue, it would last about three hours -- not small enough for a demo, and not big enough for a separate release, in my opinion.



On an unrelated subject, I recently finished my mod for Crusader Kings II. It's a static portraits mod, meaning you can substitute your own images as portraits. This has been done before by others, but what I've done is released template packs, art files, and information to train others who want to achieve the same results. Plus, I'm sharing this link so anyone can connect with me on Lover's Lab, if you happen to use that forum.
www.loverslab.com/topic/52211-ck2-static-custom-portrait-replacer-ver-098-244-horse-lords-compatible/?p=1310789

5 comments:

  1. Disclaimer: I love Star Wars. Just not Star Wars coloring books, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking forward to it!

    Think star wars should be on everyone's mind, considering recent events.

    Frozen on the other hand...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Also looking forward to the demo. I think you have the right approach to it. I think a half hour or so demo is a great idea. It should be long enough to get us ready for the world you have created for the character, without also revealing too much else which lay head. Works for me.

    Looking forward to the new SW. But also have gotten my hopes up for the prequels, which later disappointed.

    And I am probably one of the 5 people in the world who have never seen "Frozen". :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't seen Frozen either, but my job at the book manufacturer is to also proofread the books, so bizarrely enough, I've actually read Frozen, but haven't seen the movie.

      Delete
  4. Everything I love in this post - Star Wars, Crusader Kings II and a good NWN mod :) End of the year is hectic no matter where you work so it's understandable, don't worry a bit! I'm very interested in your mod and can't wait for the demo to get a taste of it, see a glimpse of your work :)

    Just remember - don't rush anything, art (because let's face it, modding is an art!) needs it's time! :)

    P.S.
    I see Frozen books every day (I work at a bookstore) and even without watching the movie itself I have enough :P

    ReplyDelete