Friday, November 13, 2015

Clarification on Malakai's personality.

I hope you all are enjoying Fallout 4. I know I am! As I prepare my demo for an eventual release, I wanted to clarify an important detail that's annoying the hell out of me. Some of you may remember this screenshot I released earlier of Malakai speaking to the protagonist. As I continue expanding my story script, I'm already regretting that screenshot, because there's an important change I'm making to Malakai. No, I have no qualms with his condescending tone, or the fact he's an asshole. It's the word he throws out at the end -- whore.

The word itself is fine; however, I noticed several characters are calling the protagonist a whore! Drunks, orcs, bandits, sailors... If I'm not careful, her father might call her a whore! I feel like it's getting comical, and a word can lose its meaning when it's used too often. There are a few other similarities I'm noticing outside of the screenshot, but overall, I'm sensing this clash of similar personalities is driving Malakai into monotonous territory, so I'm changing him. He will still be a condescending asshole, but I want to emphasize he's also intelligent, calculating, and manipulative. I'll save the trashy immature one-liners for NPC's who only think with their dicks and not their brains (clarification #2: Malakai thinks with both).

6 comments:

  1. Heh. That's the sort of thing that I've certainly had to learn to watch out for when writing. Differentiating between the way different characters speak or, in a more general sense, just not using the same words and sentence structures over and over again is surprisingly challenging.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do understand where you are coming from. I can see why you would want to make the main protagonist seem a bit more subtle in his conniving and manipulation of the PC. He may want to get into her pants as much as the NPC's, but he's probably going to be more intelligent and more articulate in the method(s) he goes about it. Works for me.

    Definitely look forward to playing the demo once you release it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I find that thesauri tend to help if you feel like certain words are being used repetitively, though that isn't exactly what you're trying to do here, it's something that may help.

    On an unrelated note, I feel like being gaped after taking a particularly fat one could be deliciously humiliating, if that situation ever arose :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you really wanted to be adventurous, full nelson or piledriver would be just as degrading lol.

      At any rate, I like the direction you're going with this. Looking forward to it+

      Delete
    2. I agree. Can envision a situation where she wanders into the wrong place, or maybe is excessively cruel and dismissive of one of those NPCS, and he/they do have their was with her.

      Delete
    3. addendum: He could just call her 'girl' dismissively, if you wanted a very quick and easy swap.

      Delete